Uso pa ba ang harana?

Are you familiar of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" or Disney's "Rapunzel" or how about the Philippines "Florante at Laura" by Balagtas?

For me, all these stories depict one thing which is that the main characters expressed adoration for each other. So, how does a guy courts a girl these days as compared before? Well, here in the Philippine setting, during the time when we were colonized by Spain, t'was during this period that we have this so-called "Harana" which is just one of the many old Filipino courtship tradition. It is our very own tradition with such strong influences from the Spanish culture. Although some historians believe that harana already existed even before the Spaniards landed in the Philippine shores. The word "harana" in Filipino dialect is to serenade. If Spain has a very feisty and seductive tempo, harana in Philippines is quite a romantic and slow song rendered to a woman by a man who wants to court her through singing, through the love of music.

Therefore, men during those days are fond of serenading the women they desire by visiting the woman's house at night time, dressed handsomely and perhaps tugging along a bouquet of flowers. Then he along with a group of friends plays music with the accompaniment of a guitar and sing their hearts out with the most touching and romantic love songs they offer to the "dalagang Filipina" (Filipina Maiden).The usual scenario for a harana to happen is that, the guy stands in front of the house, near the window of the lady, call out for her name and if she opens the window for the guy then it means she is interested to hear him sing for her and the gentleman does his very best through singing so that he will eventually win her heart and become his woman. You have to do it right in public, even if it means that passerby are to stop, stare and listen as well. It's like a public confession of how you truly admire the lady, the apple of your eye. 

Most of the harana's were actually done in rural areas and small towns in the Philippines a long time ago. Maybe during my grandparent's time because when I asked my mom about it if she'd ever experienced being serenaded, she told me she was but not that kind of thing that would definitely define what "harana" really is in the past. But she told me that my grandmother experienced it and most famous harana's she has heard were "Bituing Marikit" (Beautiful Star), "O, Ilaw" (O, Light) and "Alaala Ka" (Remembering You). All of these songs are intricately designed to capture the woman's attention and heart as if every lyric describes her beauty and how the man was captivated of it which I find really passionate and sweet. 

As of the current civilization, naks! Haha. I haven't for my 22 years of existence have seen an actual harana. But I somehow experienced being serenaded by a guy not personally but through the cellphone. Well, I guess, welcome to the dawn of the digital age my dear :P

However, the harana experience I got was not the typical kind of harana where a guy is deeply interested in you but this was just a friendly harana. I admit, I was jumpy to have received that call from a former crush that I might scream to the heavens. Muhaha! He's a good friend of mine but it was quite awkward because we haven't communicated nor seen each other for a long time and all of a sudden he called me up like beyond 12 midnight and asked me if I'd accept a harana from him? LOL! That was sweet but it was just a friendly approach since he is in a relationship and of course, I only see him as a good friend too. 

Oh well, he did have a nice voice. Husky, manly and totally desirable to hear at. He sang to me more or less 6 songs I suppose. That was the first time I've experienced a harana from him. I consider him a friend but in truth, we've never really spoken in person before. It's weird that we're getting closer via texts, calls and virtually online. I don't find it wrong rather I find it interesting since I've get to befriend a soon to be brother in MKP and get to share to him my interest too in music. I just thought that we have quite the same interests when it comes to music, the songs and the artists. I am happy to have heard him sing for free. LOL! And I am grateful too that I get to encourage him to step beyond his comfort zone and upsized his confidence because he does have a breath-taking voice.It's rare for people to have a beautiful voice and I believe it's one of his calidad humana (human quality) that I find interesting.

Quite a number of firsts happened in 2011 for me and I hope to have the same experience too but way more fun, exciting and sensational for this year. Truly, the emergence of the internet gave a new venue for the traditional harana or even courtship. That modern harana I got was the first time. It was special and in kilig in a way. Of course, who wouldn't naman, diba? Like, first time to have heard it and have that experience..like duh! Magtatalon ka talaga sa kilig. =)

And as for the question if "uso pa ba ang harana?" (Does serenading still exist?) I believe it still is but the concept has been a lil bit revamped pero ang importante doon is the intention. Whether the "harana" is done modernly or traditionally, live or not, it's the thought and feeling that counts yah know. Every girl gets so kilig at that. Sariling diskarte lang basta't you are true to your heart. Swak na yon'. Other's may call you baduy  or corny if you have the balls to try the traditional harana, but there's no harm in trying naman. Kahit madalang na ang gumagawa niyan, it still is effective lalo pa at mahal mong talaga ang babae. Yon ang importante, above all dapat ang purpose is to persuade the girl and to win her heart.   =)

0 comments: