Rainmaker

It's been two years and I am thankful to have survived law school up to this very day. It is true that the life of a law student is definitely likened to that of a walk in the park but a JURASSIC PARK at that! You have to face not just reading piles of law books and cases but you also need to deal with notorious professors grinding you for three hours a day or perhaps 18 hours a week with questions of law as if you have already read the entire book. And what I mean about being questioned not in a polite way but more like interrogating you and putting you in the spotlight of shame if you will not be able to suffice their questions. They might laugh at you, ridicule you, shout at you or mentally and emotionally torture you in front of the entire class. 

Now if you are full of pride and half-hearted to start or even continue law school then, I suggest you stop and deliberately think about it over and over again if you wish to finish law school and how much are you willing to sacrifice to achieve that elite status of becoming a lawyer in the immediate future.

I have been in the crossroads but I never thought of wanting to stop studying law. Maybe I'll rest for one year but I will definitely be back to finish what I've started. That is the type of person I am. When I commit, I finish it until I get it. And until I become the best, I will never be satisfied not until I become a lawyer myself. Quite ambitious of me but this is how I want my attitude to be. Being confident but humble at the same time makes me feel so driven to reach for that ultimate goal soon. Here in law school, you learn to develop a thick face and in the process be emotionally stable if you really believe that you will soon become victorious in this regard.

Sometimes when my brain is quite crowded with too much provisions of the law, I sometimes sing a lot or play my piano or even update my blog. These are just some of the things that makes me oblivious for awhile of the things I do at law school. 

Right now, I am mastering to memorize sections from the negotiable instruments law. So far I am doing good with my speed, memory and review. 

Although I am not a full time student but I make it a point to read the book every chance I get. I was actually disappointed last time's oral recitation on secured transaction because I wasn't able to read and memorize the provisions by heart that's why I said "pass" for now but I will have my revenge soon. Muhaha! So now I am up 2:25AM ain't sleepy and shall be reading the book on Nego once I am done with this update from my blog. Here's my face or the usual me every study session I could get at dawn since I am a crazy insomniac:





Oh well, being a law student, a teacher and an officer of the student council is quite a challenge. You mix your life with politics and if you are not that good in budgeting your time you might be slumped low on your studies and that is not good at all. I have my fears and disappointments entering school politics but I know it is natural that you make enemies too in law school. It is true that as an officer the constituents particularly your detractors only see the bad deeds you've done and will never try to commend what good works you have accomplished. Like I said, I have never been into politics before and although I have despised some people that I consider good friends before but I never thought they'd be the ones to destroy me. Spreading rumors that were never in fact true in the first place definitely broke my heart.They have toyed me with the idea that I am this bad and that worst of a person. 

But I am still thankful to Jesus that I have experienced this for once in my life because I believe that through this I would know who among the people have treated me well and isn't pretending to be my friend. I may be a rookie in the SLSC but I have never pretended and have done my job honestly being the treasurer of the College of Law. 

John Grisham was right when he wrote in his book entitled "The Rainmaker" that: 

You make enemies in law school. The competition can be vicious. People learn how to cheat and backstab; it's training for the real world.

But I try not to hate people who I know have been two-faced when merely talking to me. It has indeed challenged me from the very first day I took an oath of being an SLSC officer. Patience, commitment and passion are just some of the values I have learned in the process. May this help me make it through finishing law school and finally take the bar exam then successfully pass it. May God bless me more :)

0 comments: