Homesickness


This has been our third week here in Manila and in that span of time I have learned so much. Although I miss my family but the things I have learned have compensated my homesickness. I have beckoned eerily to be at home any second from now for with a homesick heart, it is quite tough to contemplate to do the kind of things I would be doing everyday without even seeing them or talking to any of my family member. I am the type of person who doesn’t easily cry over silly things but just last week, out of the blue, I cried hard for the very first time. Zam, my roommate and a sister from a sorority at law school was even shocked to have seen me cry. She was a bit worried and laughed at the same time because it was her first time too to have seen me cry that deep. I don’t usually bawl at things and be seen by other people when a tear falls from my eye. Manila has definitely made me experience a lot of first times but then I realized this was also part of the training and somehow my roommates are there to cheer me up. I browse through words of wisdom from the bible via the internet and I read Psalms 139: 7 – 10 which says

“Whither shall I go from Love’s spirit? Or whither shall I flee from Love’s presence? If I ascend up into heaven, Love is there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Love is there. If I tale the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall Love’s hand lead me, and Love’s right hand shall hold me”.

Truly, LOVE is everywhere and I found that kind of care and affection from the people I am with right now. If not for them, I would have cried and cried and not push through this journey. Without a doubt, my ties to home were stronger than I had anticipated and this homesickness is the result of it. A lady like me who is rooted with close family bond has had my share of facing my own demons. It was a battle of homesickness and being strong.

Anyway, today marks my second day at work in the House of Representatives assigned at the Committee on Government Enterprises and Privatization. I am pretty blessed to be under the supervision of amazing bosses like Ma’am Cora, Ma’am Shieryl and Sir Greg. When I first stepped in the cubicle, they received me well enough to feel like I really belong in the Committee. All of them are amazing and I am pleased to know that they too know how to speak in Bisaya. I wouldn’t have a hard time expressing my sentiments in my own dialect and the task given to me was worth it. I asked to borrow the book on Rules of the HOR to read over the weekend and I’ve learned quite a bit. Everyday is a learning process and having them as my mentors paved the way for me to be comfortable at learning the calisthenitics in the House of Representatives. I have to say that I am loved by God, for as compared to other interns who weren’t really treated well on their first day at work, I am just thankful to the Almighty that I have been assigned to a Committee where I can relate to and feel at home with.

 Indeed, LOVE is everywhere. ♥ =)


0 comments: