Gawad Kalinga - Bayani Challenge 2012

Ever since my mother persuaded me to attend on conventions at law school since I had to because I am also an officer in a student council, she would allow me to travel far from my hometown and has given me freedom to do what I love. It felt great especially so when I engaged myself when it comes to volunteering for community service such as the 5-day camp in Gawad Kalinga- Bayani Challenge at Sta. Elena, Steeltown where people have been invited to help out build houses, refurbish schools, tree planting etc. 

The fact that I and my bestfriend were to take on our final exams on a major subject at law school, we were absent on the first day of the challenge. But it was worth it because what matters the most is ones presence to be deeply involved to help irregardless if we have not filled up the 5 day challenge from April 9-14 of this year. In five days, workers, youth volunteers, NGO's, the government, the military and others helped day and night at the site. Painting and building the houses, planting and beautifying the surroundings were some of the activities I have witnessed in my short stay there. At night time, there were fun-filled activities too and a live band to accompany the workers and liven up their spirits while a group of dj's based from Manila are doing more like a comical skit and playing motivating songs to push the pedal to the metal. It was a great experience to have helped and met people not just in the Philippines but some volunteers too who are from abroad. It was a nice feeling to have known that there are still people who have the heart to serve and help other people irregardless of one's status, religion or creed. That is why I can still say, that there is still hope for the future. :)

Looking at the site, we talked to a bunch of engineers and they told us that things were doing pretty good and a fast pace of building houses are in progress. We've seen youth from different barangay's here in Iligan and in different parts of the Philippines. All were very busy, determined and in high spirits that this shall push through. We've helped out landscaping and shoveling whilst talking to some other youth volunteers on their experiences at Sta.Elena. Despite the scorching heat of the sun, the unpredictable weather, still, things went pretty well and it was totally an unforgettable encounter in my 22 years of existence.

Every time I try to extend my help to other people, this gratifying feeling of lightness and goodness in you makes one feel so good even if we too are facing our own demons. We forget about the harshness of life and instead we think about selfless help we can give back to the others. That feeling alone made my day even more beautiful! 

My bestfriend and a colleague from College of Law were in cahoots together to help out. Here are some of the pictures we took for us to share to you our unforgettable experience. Browse through :)







Helping other people and reaching out to them especially in times of defeat and in need -- This is our way of giving back to the society and to our Almighty creator for saving me, my family and people who are dear to me far from harm during last year's Sendong tragedy.  =)


0 comments: