Pingan!

“Peace is not only better than war, but infinitely more arduous.”
George Bernard Shaw


Time and again war has been and is consistently present which is globally affecting many lives & destroying numerous properties.  Undeniably, peace is more preferred over the idea of war, of course who would love to live in a chaotic society where you can see bloodshed every second of the day and seeing your family, friends and everyone else in tumult? Certainly nobody would want that to happen. Yet, many of us do things erroneously whether if we are aware or pretending to be naïve enough to ignore what others feelings and needs are probably because of selfish desires. Before, I also thought that kalinaw or peace is impossible but with the existence of such youth oriented peace organization initiatives such as MTYC - BUC & MyCoP, I have come to realize that if war cannot be eliminated then at least I as a youth can do something to proliferate the principle of peace by first of all attaining peace within myself of which I have learned from the “trauma
healing seminar” that we had last year under Prof. Saturnina “Bebot” Rodil. When I had attained inner solitude within me I then initiated to join such interfaith dialogues within Iligan City & volunteered to help the people especially those who were affected on last year’s confrontation of the MI bandits versus the Philippine Marines at Lapayan, Kauswagan as well as those people who have been seriously distressed of flood. It was an awe-inspiring experience wherein people like me were given an opportunity to have contributed something to at alleviate the people’s sufferings. It felt as though I somehow became an agent of peace-building. It was not only by helping these people that I appreciate much but the thought of which gradually I also had a personal development within myself and having friends of which I am comfortable to call them “brothers” and “sisters” regardless of status, religion and culture . The experiences I had gave me
the kind of feeling wherein I  have expressed happiness and contentment for myself and for the rest of the people that there is still hope to attain a more comprehensive, enduring and true peace for all of us.


Even if I might not be that active always in the organization because of studying law & working at the same time, I am still and will always be willing to lend a hand. After all, the organization taught me to become responsible and to not rely of the thought that responsibility only lies in the hands of the leaders of this country to strengthen peace-building but that by having inner peace within each of ourselves, we can certainly be at peace with those around us.




You might be surprised why the title for this post is Pingan. Since it couldn't be more obvious in front of some of my close friends that I am so in love all about China and it's ancient civilization, it's delicious exotic foods and the great wall plus marshall arts & not to mention Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Bruce & Jet Li. I so hoped to visit China sooner for it's in my top list of favorite countries in the whole world. So, you got the clue now ey? hehehe.. Pingan is a Chinese word which connotes Peace. Hmn..nice noh? In any case you've learned another word from me. Hehe.. :)

2 comments:

Il Cavaliere Inesistente said...

平安 is indeed a nice title for an article as such because it clearly gives an idea of what is about to be shared. However, it I am unable to figure out what "Pingan" means since it is written in pinyin. :-P

I agree with the main idea of this article, or peace to be more specific. It is sometimes hard for one to be able to know what is like being stuck in the middle of a war or chaotic circumstances. Having the ambition to become a police officer, I often feel that the contributions made by peace keepers are being overlooked. Some poeple give up their time and life willingly for the sake of others while some other believe that there can be no peace without war. I guess in this case it is not up to me to decide who is right or wrong but what I would like to say here is that people should love the things that they love. When it comes to the things that they do not love, they can choose not to love them but try not to hate at the same time. I get sick when I see all the hate being demonstrated either verbally or physically around me.

In addition, it is also agreeable that each of us could start making peace by developing inner peace within ourselves. There's no point in hoping for others to change but doing nothing to help, knowing well that our contributions are equally important in this sense. It is the least that one can do to make the world a better place to live in. Sometimes it's not pollution that kills, but hate and anger.

Having said that, I will conclude that the process of making peace is not an easy task but it is not impossible, not if we start doing it now.

~爱与和平 Love and Peace~

Michelle said...

hehe. so true raf!
It's hard to attain peace but just by initiating to start inner peace within ourselves we've already made a single step to contribute on the proliferation of the concept of peace. Me too, being a lawstudent & reading tons of mundane cases such as that of homicide, rape, treason etc for criminal law class & divorce, identifying legitimate, illegitimate, and legitimated children plus learning to apportion said support & successional rights are quite hard & interesting at the same time. It also makes you think that of all the perplexities the human mind is able to do..we are also capable of minimizing or in time diminishing the essence of war/chaos.

You were right in saying that what kills us sometimes is not the polluted air we breathe or the polluted earth we live in..but rather that of the polluted mind of humans- all the hate, anger & stereotyping.

It was good that from the seminar I had last year - it was all worth it. I learned the art of inner peace, meditation or solitude. I would like to admit that sometimes it's not that easy to keep it cool despite the fact that you're about to punch someone else's face or like that.. but human as we are - we do make mistakes but people deserve a second shot at life & so we have to just breathe in & breathe out - till we reach inner peace, a totally-nega vibes free & try not to lose the compass in our lives.

Peace, Pingan in Chinese & Kalinaw/Kapayapaan in Filipino -

whatever we call it - it'll be a roller coaster ride before we come to reach for it completely.. :)